Monday, January 09, 2006

Sugar, Sugar

Just before Christmas, I sat down with an artist who I've been an admirer of all my life. He was a founding member of one of the most influential bands of the late '60's. 

From humble beginnings in the small suburb of Riverdale, Reggie Mantle rose to the top of the charts with a handful of friends whose only goal was to form a little garage band and have some fun. 

It all started in the waning days of the British Invasion, when it seemed that any teenager with a flashy smile and a used guitar could rise to riches and fame overnight. 

Reggie, along with friends Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones, had a little pop-power trio, their beat-up equipment squeezed in beside the battered hot rod that Andrews drove to school every morning. As the host of the jam sessions, Archie took the lead guitar spot and Reg moved over to bass, with Jughead on drums. Soon, two local girls, Betty Cooper and debutante Veronica Lodge came on to play percussion and keyboards respectively. 

Andrews was the front man, but it was clear from the outset that Mantle was the brains behind the outfit. Now, nearly thirty-five years since The Archies' last album was released, I had the once-in-a-lifetime chance to sit down one-on-one with one of rock and roll's true icons. 

-------------- 

PP: The question remains, was The Archies a true collaboration, or were you Archie Andrews' back-up group? 

RM: (laughs) I guess it would be easy to think that. We practiced at his place, and he really was, at least in the early days, the most relaxed on stage. He was also a very good guitar player, so I didn't mind stepping back. What people tend to forget was that everybody in the group sang. Even Jughead, although we only let him sing lead on the Christmas tunes. 

PP: I remember his Christmas album. 

RM: That was my first stint as a producer. Not exactly high art, but we had a good time. (laughs again.) Of course, that was right at the start of Juggy's substance abuse period. We tried to keep it quiet, but I'd have to say that was the beginning of the end for the band. That, and his fling with Ronnie.  

PP: Now, wait a minute. Did I hear you right? There was a romantic link between Veronica and Jughead? 

RM: She'd deny it, of course, but it was pretty hot and heavy for a while. Surprisingly, Arch was the last to figure it out, and when he did he went nuts. We were doing a session, and they were late. I mean, hours late. Archie keeps asking questions, and Betty and I tried not to answer them. Eventually, he put two and two together, and then he trashed Jug's drum kit. 

PP: Wow. 

RM: The whole thing was fueled by Columbian marching powder, of course. We finished the record, and the tour was a disaster. Ronnie had a lucid moment and went into rehab, but the band was finished. 

PP: And Jughead? 

RM: He spent a couple years in denial, but eventually got his act together. Did it the hard way, too. Just stopped. Didn't know he was that strong, but he's stuck with it. Going to a good church, married, a couple of really nice kids, but he left Riverdale, won't talk about a reunion tour, nothing. Wants nothing to do with The Archies. Can't say I blame him, considering.  

PP: Were you disappointed that Betty married Archie?  

RM: It kinda stung, but I guess I expected it. Of course, the public thought that Arch and I used to fight over Ronnie, but she . . . Let's just say that she's independent. Didn't need either of us, when you come right down to it. 

PP: She was playing you?  

RM: You said that, not me. (laughed) The Archies was a thing to do. She was good at it. She's good at everything. She's running Lodge Enterprises now, and her father's smiling through his golden years. 

PP: What about your brief marriage to Midge, and the falling out with Moose? 

RM: I told you we werent' going to discuss that.  

PP: Your stint at Betty Ford? 

RM: This interview is over! 

(Reggie stood over me, scowling, for a full minute. I was tempted to apologize and beg him to continue, but I stood my ground. Don't ask me why. A range of emotion played on his face. Finally, he sat down.)  

RM: I've got a good life now. I may not have a wall full of grammies, but there's a few gold records. I'm a producer in L. A., and there's a lot of people who would give their right arm to be me. I put out a solo album every few years, I work steady . . . I got the monkey off my back. It was tough, but it's done. One day at a time. 

PP: Do you keep in touch with Archie and Betty? 

RM: Oh, yeah. I get back to Riverdale every now and then, and they've been to L. A. a couple times. Betty's even put background vocals on a couple projects I've worked on. I'm expecting them to come out to Cleveland later in the year for the induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I'll call Ronnie and Jug, but I don't expect them to show.  

PP: So, no new Archies music? 

RM: I'm remastering the first two albums. There'll be demand after we're inducted, and it's a chance to finally clean up the mix, which I never liked. 

------------- 

We talked for another hour. Eventually, he forgave me for invading his privacy. He understood that he owed his fans an explanation. He also understood that he owed them his regrets, and his victories. It was a good time. It's not often in your life that you get a chance to share an afternoon with one of your heroes.

2 comments:

Rick L. Phillips said...

I loved the Reggie Mantle interview. Not like him to say the good things about Archie that he did but those two had a love/hate friendship. I guess Reggie figured as a successful producer he got the brass ring. :)

Rick L. Phillips said...

Hope you don't mid but I have provided a link to your site.